I have never been more excited about a craft as I am for this adorable Valentine’s craft I tried with Dylan. I bought a mug paint kit from Michael’s. I figured they would be good presents especially since Dylan is really into crafts lately.
I was looking at a canvas craft we have hanging up from when Dylan was a baby. And it hit me. The cutest, easiest Valentine’s craft, a heart shape on a mug your child can do!
6 easy steps to the cutest Valentin’s craft ever. . .
- Create a heart shape with washi tape, masking tape or any tape that can easily come off once stuck.
2. Your child makes dots around the heart, some really close to the tape. You want the shape of the heart to come through when you take the tape off. You can mix the colors to make them more Valentine’s friendly. Since this is for Daddy, I kept the colors that came with the kit. The kit only comes with one brush but we used a brush per color so it would be easier for her not to mix the colors.
3. Let it dry. I let it dry overnight but it drys in an hour or so.
4. Carefully, take the washi tape off, the shape of a heart will remain.
5. For an extra special touch let your child paint the other side of the mug. Then add the date and child’s name to the bottom.
6. Final, and the most important step. You need to bake the mug to seal the paint on the mug so you will be able to wash it. Put the mug in the oven, set it to 350 degrees. Put a timer on for 30 minutes. Turn the oven off. Leave the mug in there until the oven cools down or the mug could shatter. The directions are listed on the box. It’s really easy. I have done it a few times.
I plan on filling this with Valentine’s candy with cello wrapping paper and a cute card made by Dylan.
This tape idea would work on so many different items like a t-shirt, a plate, a canvas, etc.
I would love to know if you do this craft. If you do, post a picture on Instagram, tag us @Markdowns_ and_Letdowns and use the hash tag #MandLcrafts. Can’t wait to see yours!