365 days, 365 times around the sun, Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer. another entire year is about to finish. And after today, an entire decade is coming to a close. Ten years, seems like it flew by in a flash. It has been such a crazy, memorable decade for me. So much happened, so much change, so many things I never thought I would do and did.
I started this decade as a newly 30 year old who recently moved to Los Angeles knowing no one. I am ending it as a 40 year old (still can’t wrap my head about it), wife, mother, suburban living, retired (ha ha), with amazing friends and family who now live in Los Angeles too.
What. An. Amazing. TEN. YEARS!
- Family: I started the decade single and unsure if I would marry or have kids. A decade later, I have been married for 7 years, with Alex for 10 and we have 2 amazing children.
- Motherhood: Motherhood is one of the most challenging and rewarding roles I have ever had in my life. It’s a learning curve, everyday is something new, something hard, something rewarding. I am trying to do my best to be in the moment and be the best mom of these ladies.
- Moved: I moved to Los Angeles in 2009, I was getting adjusted to life in LA when this new decade began. This past 10 years I moved a few times; from my apartment right outside of West Hollywood in with Alex in Culver City where we lived together for almost 8 years before moving to the ‘burbs this past summer.
- Friends: Moving across the country at the start of the decade, really made me find a new set of friends. I have made some amazing friends when I first moved here who I am still close with. Over the years, I have made many friends here. And since I have had Dylan I have made some of my best friends of my adulthood who are a great support to everything while maintaining close relationships with lifelong friends in NJ.
- Travel: When I was younger, I traveled a lot. I saved, I used my tax return and I went. As I got older, and finances where tight it was so hard to travel. But the last few years Alex and I made up for lost time! We have traveled to Romania, Italy, France, India, all over CA, NJ, NY, PA, etc. I hope we are able to keep up with the traveling bug!
- Embraced a New Lifestyle: I have gone up and down with my weight. I have really enjoyed myself with all the sweets, butter, alcohol, etc. I finally completely understand calorie intake, working out and maintaining weight loss. It is still challenging, I do love really good fattening foods I am doing my best to try and find a balance.
- Retiring: Over the last 10 years I have worked at many jobs, I have been fired from almost all of them. Marketing is always the first to go when the going gets tough. I was let go from my last job May 2018, after a year of looking, a year of getting really far in the process (down to the final 2 in many cases), I never landed a position. My confidence was nearly gone. “Little shits” who were in their early 20’s were deciding my fate. I felt angry. I wasn’t happy. I started thinking I was on the black list no to be hired. Alex told me to take a break from the job search a few times, finally in May 2019 I stopped applying for jobs, stopped interviewing. I am still taking classes and trying to maintain my skills. But as time goes on, I am realizing more and more I don’t want to go back. I want to be home to enjoy the time with my kids. For now, I am lucky to be able to do so.
This past year has been one of the best in a long time for us. I started 2019, depressed, broken and angry. I was upset where we were in life. We were still living in Alex’s bachelor pad. It didn’t seem like we would ever move. We felt stuck. After Dylan was waitlisted at all the private schools, we decided moving was the only option for her education. Within a month, we had a signed lease! Just like that, things turned around. T
The last 7 months have been a complete whirlwind. The beginning of the year was full of stress, where was Dylan going to go to Kindergarten, where was I going to work? There was so many unknowns.
Then in a blink, things changed . . .I retired, we moved, Dylan is now in one of the best schools in Los Angeles. We traveled to France and India in one year! And Alex finally got promoted to VP of Development. What an incredible year. It’s incredible how much could change in a year or less.
How has the tens decade treated you? What changed? Do you have goals for the next year/decade? Can’t wait to hear from you.
2 thoughts on “Cheers to a New Decade”
It sounds like y’all have found your happy and that makes me happy! Great recap! 💖
LikeLiked by 1 person
LikeLiked by 1 person